West Country Ploughman’s Tarts
“A delicious tart championing local ingredients that takes a ‘pub favourite’ and transforms it into a picnic delight. Great served with the mini pickled onions.”
- Kerry Camm
Shortcrust Pastry 225 g (8oz):
- 225 g (8 oz) Plain Flour* minced with 1tsp mustard powder
- pinch salt
- 50 g (2 oz) lard
- 50 g (2 oz) margarine
- cold water to mix, about 30 ml (approx. 2 tbsp)
1. Mix flour and salt in basin, rub in fat.
2. Using a knife to cut and stir, mix with cold water to form a stiff dough.
3 . Turn dough on to a floured surface and knead lightly.
4. Roll out and use as required.
*Self raising flour may be used. The pastry will have a more cake-like texture.
- 2 -4 Spring onions, chopped
- 6-10 Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 50g pickle
- 75 g (3 oz) cheese, grated
- 2 medium eggs
- 150 ml (¼ pint) milk
- Salt and pepper
1. Heat oven to 190ºC, 375ºF, Gas Mark 5. Roll pastry, cut out circles – use to line bun trays.
2. Place half the cheese in the pastry case and dot with spring onions and ½ cherry tomatoes.
3. Beat the eggs and milk together, season and pour over the cheese and veges. Sprinkle on remaining cheese.
4. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until set and golden brown. Serve with mini pickled onions.
Why not use your tarts to help blind veterans? Find out how…