Stephen Fry’s savoury red pesto tart
“Don’t ask me why, but it’s the sheer redness of this tart that gets me all excited. Enjoy”.
- Stephen Fry
- 1 large uncooked savoury tart case
(available at all supermarket chains)
- 1 jar of red pesto sauce
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large red onion
- Handful of pine nuts (optional)
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- Small handful of torn basil leaves
- Black pepper (optional)
- Finely slice red pepper red onion. Add to pan with pine nuts and heated olive oil. Cover pan and allow to sweat on a low heat, do not allow ingredients to brown. Check on ingredients, stirring occasionally.
- Spread pesto sauce over base of tart. Add sweated red pepper, red onion and pine nuts.
- Bake in preheated oven gas mark 5 or 100 degrees for 20/25 minutes, ensuring crust of tart is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and add a little black pepper and torn basil leaves.
- Delicious hot or cold served with a cherry tomato and rocket salad.